HAPPY WORLD VEGETARIAN DAY!
And to celebrate, my favourite burger! Entirely vegetarian and carnivore approved beetroot burgers! Serve them the traditional way, with pickles and a cheese of your choice (I suggest goats cheese.. is there anything better that goats cheese and beetroot?) or bunless as part of a salad. This burger has so much flavour to play with, you can really jazz it up however you like.
Makes 4 large burgers
- Olive oil
- 1 onion – chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 400g (1 can) of haricot beans
- 1 egg – beaten
- 2 x raw beetroot (peeled)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 20g fresh dill – chopped
- Soften the finely chopped onion with the olive oil in a pan
- Add the crushed garlic and cumin seeds. Set aside to cool.
- Blitz the beetroot in a food processor and set aside in a separate bowl
- Now blitz the beans until smooth, add the egg.
- Put the bean mixture into a large bowl, add the breadcrumbs, beetroot, half the dill and the cooled onions, season and mix.
- Separate the mixture into approximately 4 large burgers (or 6 smaller ones) and allow to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Griddle or barbecue the burgers on high heat for approximately 3 minutes each side.
- Serve how you like!