This is a simple recipe for mummified gingerbread men, ideal for homemade Halloween treats, and perfect for getting kids involved with baking!
The inspiration for this bake came from my wanderings around Borough Market last week. I came across a cakes and cookies stall which had really gone all the way in terms of getting into the festive spirit… they had everything from jam-filled Day of The Dead skull cookies to creepy cupcakes, but it a basket of mummified gingerbread men that really caught my eye. I loved the simplicity of it. Gingerbread men covered in white icing squiggles. Unlike my gingerbread mummies (pictured above), the ones at the stall were long and thin, with their arms and legs stuck together, stood like little confectionary soldiers. Alas, cookie cutters like that are hard to come by and I had to settle for the more traditional kind, which is why my little mummies have their limbs splayed out all over the place… but I think the overall effect works pretty well, none-the-less.
I went for simple white writing icing to recreate the mummy bandages, but if you have the time, I think it would be pretty cool to do a mixture of grey and white. I also briefly considered giving them mini Smartie eyes (I’m not sure if the rest of the world has Smarties, they’re coloured, sugar-coated chocolate drops), but couldn’t find the small ones anywhere, so my gingerbread mummies are blind (as well as splay-legged and dead).
This recipe makes around 35 3.5 inch long (from head to toe) gingerbread men.
- 350g of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- 175g light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 egg
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the ground spices and the bicarbonate of soda
- Using your hands, rub in the butter until it becomes crumb-like
- Stir in the sugar
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the syrup and egg together, then add the mixture to the dry ingredients and stir
- Knead the mixture together into a dough, and transfer to the fridge for a minimum of 15 minutes
- Once chilled roll out the dough (approximately half a centimetre thick)
- Cut out your gingerbread men, and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake at 180 ˚C for approximately 10 minutes
- Once baked, transfer to a cooling rack. And ice with writing icing when cooled. Easy peasy!