A hot toddy is the perfect festive drink. It’s warm, it’s sweet, it’s creamy and it’s boozy. The ideal tipple for a Christmas party or as a nightcap on Christmas day. Enjoy alone or with a cheeky mince pie!
- Good quality spiced rum
- Flavoured syrup
- Boiling water
- Double cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- First you need a glass. The ideal for this cocktail is a glass mug, for example a latte glass, so you can see the cream floating on top of the cocktail. If you haven’t got a glass mug you could use a copper Moscow Mule mug or your average coffee mug.
- Add two standard measures of spiced rum to the mug, and a shot of flavoured syrup, you could use cinnamon syrup, vanilla or caramel syrup, even maple syurp. Here, I used Starbucks’ gingerbread flavoured syrup, for maximum festive flavour.
- Top up the mug with boiling hot water and stir well with a bar spoon.
- Using the back of the bar spoon, or a teaspoon, pour the double cream onto the surface of the liquid, like you would for a coffee floater. The cream will form a delicious layer to sip the cocktail through.
- Finish the drink with a sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg, or ground cinnamon if you prefer.
- Serve with a mince pie, or a slice of christmas cake. Merry Christmas!